Morning, Tampa! Let’s get you all caught up to start this Saturday, April 2nd off on an informed note. Here’s what’s going on today in Tampa.
First, today’s weather:
Humid with a heavy t-storm. High: 80 Low: 68.
🏡 Are you a local real estate agent? Let us help you generate leads, build your brand in Tampa and stand apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Tampa:
1. We Saturday, March 26thhundreds of athletes and volunteers were on hand at Jesuit for the 50th anniversary event of the annual Hillsborough & Pinellas Special Olympics. The event was led by Grand Marshal Titus O’Neil, global ambassador of the WWE. (Tampa Patch)
2. Portillo’s Chicago-style hotdogs is opening in St. Petersburg ohn Tuesday, April 5th at 10 a.m. Tea St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce will be present for the ribbon cutting at 2302 Tyrone Boulevard North. There are still a few full-time and part-time positions available at the St. Petersburg’s Portillo’s, with all positions starting at $15 an hour. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
3. South Tampa Comics has soft opened at 5823 South Dale Mabry Highway. A grand opening was planned for April 1st. The shop features a main floor where visitors can browse current comic selections, graphic novel back issues, comic trading cards, and more. (That’s So Tampa)
4. Hyde Park Village is atdding a hotel to its mix of retail and restaurant offerings in South Tampa. Palisocietya boutique hotel franchise based in Los Angeles, will open Palihouse Hyde Park Village next year at 1509 W Swann Avenue, according to a media release. It will have 36 rooms. (Tampa Bay Times)
5. Tampa rent prices fell 1.3% last month after rising nearly 33% year-over-year, according to a report from Zumper. Median rent statewide is now $1,578, putting Tampa in line with state costs. Tampa and Sarasota were the only two cities in the report to have their one-bedroom rent prices drop, though Venice had no month-to-month fluctuation. (WFLA)
Today in Tampa:
- Ybor Comic Convention. (9:00 AM)
- Friends Of The Library Book Sale at Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative. (10:00 a.m.)
- Hoppyfest at Wesley Chapel District Park. (10:00 a.m.)
- Bank Of America Museums On Us Weekend. (11:00 a.m.)
- Wtr Pool Rosé All Day With Samantha Ronson. (12:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Florida residents can now book their second COVID-19 booster shots. Local grocery stores such as Winn Dixie and Fresco y Mas are opening appointments for a fourth shot for people 12 years and older who are immunocompromised. They are also welcoming anyone 50 years and over who received their last booster at least four months prior. (WSVN)
- Tampa Riverfest has announced the music lineup for its May events. (WFLA)
- Join the South Tampa Chamber of Commerce this Sunday for the 16th Annual Taste of South Tampa at Tampa Garden Club. Tickets will be available online till the start of the event. (Twitter)
- AAA reported today thaFlorida’s average gas price dipped to $4.19 per gallon. Earlier in the week, the state’s average price for gas was increasing, with Monday’s price at $4.11 per gallon, which climbed to $4.17 on Tuesday and then $4.20 on Wednesday. (Bay News 9)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- 22nd Annual Seminole Heights Home Tour (April 3)
- Taxes in Retirement Webinar on 5/5 & 5/6 (April 5)
- Building Communities Through Fishing in Tampa Bay (April 7)
- Open House: St Pete Beach Home for Sale (April 13)
- Add your event
Loving the Tampa Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Saturday. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Carlos Hernández
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.