Foreign travel insurance comparator: the guide
*(AXA note) Monthly rate for a stay of 12 months. The price is decreasing according to the duration of the stay.
Whether for to study, work Where travel abroad, having travel insurance is an essential step in the preparation of your project. We explain here why, how to choose it and how it works.
Why take out travel insurance?
Travel insurance is essential whenwe are going abroad for a long time. You will see that even in europe you are not fully supported. Outside Europe, healthcare costs can be very very high… Why? Because when we leave French territory, we no longer benefit from social security. Every penny donated comes from our pocket. Travel insurance can be interesting when you need medication abroad but necessary in the event of an accident.
A day of skiing in New Zealand, a ride in a Tuk-tuk in Thailand, a sports afternoon with the university… Even taking care of yourself, an accident can also be caused by someone else. What about insurance issued by credit cards? And in Europe? Are we still better protected than elsewhere? We answer your questions!
Why credit card travel insurance is not enough
Maybe you already knew that bank banks insure part of your stay… But this cover is not enough for a long stay abroad.
First of all, you should know that all credit cards are not created equal. On the one hand there are the Visa and Mastercard cards which cover for a period of 90 days and on the other hand the Gold and Premier cards, covering for a period of 6 months. We explain to you why these insurances are not sufficient in 4 points:
- Medical expenses are only covered up to €11,000. This amount may seem large at first glance, but did you know thata day of intensive care in New York already fill this price?
- A franchise is requested for each compensation.
- Classic bank cards do not includetravel cancellation insurance. If your flight or your train is cancelled, if your visa is refused, if one of your relatives is hospitalized or in the event of death, your stay will not be reimbursed.
- L’baggage insurance is not included. They are well protected on the plane but not once you get out. And in some airports, with the crowds and the hustle and bustle, it is quite difficult to pay attention to your luggage and your wallet when you are alone.
In return, insurance offers a higher ceiling, coverage against theft, loss or destruction of luggage and full civil liability (ie reimbursement in the event that you cause damage to others).
And if I go to Europe, do I still have to take out travel insurance?
For any stay in one of the member countries of the EEA (European Economic Area), you will have to an EHIC request (the European Health Insurance Card) at least two weeks before your departure. You will be covered by social security. Thanks to this insurance you will be partially covered.
You are not obliged to take out travel insurance, but a supplement is always useful. For example in Spain, a consultation with the doctor can cost 50€ and the French security can only reimburse you 12€.
How to choose your insurance?
Insurance companies offer many benefits. Here is an overview of insurance:
- Liability insurance : it insures you in the event of damage to others. If during an accident the victim proves that you are guilty, you will have to reimburse the costs incurred. With this insurance you will be financially covered.
- Repatriation insurance : this insurance allows you to be repatriated to France in the event of an accident, illness, etc. Or the accident, illness or death of a loved one.
- Baggage insurance : covers your luggage and personal effects during round trips and during your stay.
- Travel cancellation insurance : cancellation insurance allows you to be reimbursed for cancellation costs in the event of an accident or illness that concerns you or a loved one. It also takes into account natural disasters.
- Legal insurance : covers the procedures in the event of a dispute; that is to say the costs of lawyers, expertise, proceedings, etc.
- Medical expense insurance : these costs concern a large part of the emergency costs (hospitalization, surgery, treatment, etc.) and medication.
- Car Insurance : you want to rent a car on the spot to travel freely? With auto insurance you will be financially protected.
What to do in case of disaster ?
Before any assistance or hospitalization, you must absolutely contact your insurance. For other problems, you can start your procedures a few days later. In general, insurance companies can be contacted by telephone, by e-mail or via their website.
Then, the steps are very simple to carry out and the state of progress of the files can be consulted online.