Travel Insurance | $ Bid $
Learn more about travel insurance
If you’re planning a vacation, you’ve probably already thought about the costs. But have you thought about what could happen if something goes wrong? If your baggage is lost or delayed? Or even worse, if something happened to you or a family member while on vacation? A little insurance can help protect you against these kinds of events. Many people think they are covered abroad with their health insurance, but this is not the case. If you are one of those people, don’t worry, but keep reading this article!
What is travel insurance?
Although travel is a hobby that we like to offer ourselves, it does not come without its share of questions and sometimes even concerns.
Concretely, this insurance can include several elements: a telephone assistance service, insurance for emergency medical care, an emergency repatriation service and coverage in the event of cancellation of a flight or loss of luggage.
Contrary to what some might think, travel insurance is necessary for any type of trip, whether it’s a shopping weekend in the United States or a round-the-world sailing trip. In short, it is useful if you travel all over the world.
In addition, obtaining your travel insurance should be planned at the beginning of your preparations, as it must adjust to the type of trip you will be undertaking.
What type of person needs travel insurance?
Whether it’s for a business trip, to visit family, or even to have fun with friends, anyone traveling abroad for more than a few days should purchase travel insurance, especially if they are going in a region with health risks such as malaria or yellow fever. People with pre-existing medical conditions may also consider purchasing coverage before traveling abroad, as their medical care may not be available abroad. Also, travel insurance is a good idea for anyone with high-value items – like jewelry – or an expensive camera.
Why get travel insurance?
As mentioned earlier, travel insurance gives you peace of mind in the event of any situation beyond your control. Purchasing travel insurance ensures that you are covered for medical care abroad.
Complete and complementary protection
To the one you already have…
The first step to getting travel insurance is to check if you already have coverage with your credit card or group insurance. Without realizing it, many people have some advantages already offered with their credit card.
A travel insurance policy will then be used to improve this coverage, which is often somewhat below what you need to travel safely.
What the government offers you…
In Quebec and in Canada, we are lucky to benefit from a free healthcare system. As Quebecers traveling in Canada, most health services are covered.
However, the Quebec Health Insurance Plan (RAMQ) does not often reimburses only in part health care provided outside the country.
That said, students, unpaid interns or government employees abroad are generally entitled to full coverage offered by RAMQ while abroad.
Travel insurance for the whole family
For many, treating yourself to a trip is also synonymous with special family moments. Many insurers offer family travel insurance for which only adults have to pay.
Like any good insurance policy, insurers offer flexible travel insurance policies with the possibility of multiple endorsements. Find out about the options to equip yourself with the protection that best suits your needs!
How much does travel insurance cost?
The price of travel insurance can vary greatly depending on your needs, but the basic offers start at relatively low sums.
In general, it is estimated that the price of travel insurance corresponds to approximately 4 to 8% of the total price of your trip.
Thus, a trip of longer duration could ask you to shell out a few hundred extra dollars.
However, we do not recommend skimping on the quality of your travel insurance: compared to a potential hospitalization abroad or an emergency repatriation, the price of your travel insurance does not represent much.
What are the best travel insurance companies?
- Advantageous medical costs
- Cancellation and interruption insurance
- Offers 3 types of insurance depending on the cards: RBC Avion Visa Infinite Business, RBC Avion Visa Business and RBC Commercial Avion Visa
– Manuvie (Interesting for 1 month trips)
- Covid-19 Emergency Medical Coverage
- Single and multiple trips available
- No medical questionnaire before age 60
- 50% discount if you travel to Canada
- Your children have the same protection as you if they come with you on a trip
- Online submission
– Blue Cross (High rates, but good guarantees
- Complete Blue Cross travel insurance offering good protection for medical expenses ($5M)
- Protection against Covid provided you meet certain criteria
- Insurance covering all types of profiles including single trips and annual trips
- Assistance service available 24 hours a day via Can Assistance
- Coverage up to $150,000 for visitors to Canada
– Desjardins (Excellent service, the most popular in Quebec)
- Possibility to have an online quote quickly
- 24/7 assistance service from Desjardins travel insurance: Assistance service that responds to you at any time, in the event of an emergency, wherever you are in the world
- Desjardins member benefit: 3 days of free travel insurance for a short or long stay
- Only 1 medical questionnaire for travel insurance to be completed every 4 years if you are between 61 and 80 years old
- Possibility of making an online complaint directly on the site
- The Visa Desjardins travel insurance credit card: covers many situations
- Stays covered up to 365 days.
- A Desjardins travel insurance family premium.
The difference between travel insurance and protection on my credit card?
Basically, all travel insurance has the same purpose: to protect you when you go abroad.
However, not all coverage is created equal. Here are some things to consider before setting off on your journey.
If your credit card offers you insurance coverage, be well aware of the details of it. For instance:
- Is your coverage valid only for the cardholder or all those who will accompany you?
- In the event of a flight cancellation, do you have to have paid for the plane ticket and your nights at the hotel with the credit card in question?
- What is the maximum amount of cover in the event of hospitalization, repatriation or loss of baggage?
- What is the length of stay covered by my credit card?
Unless you have a credit card like the Visa Odyssey Gold card offering you the advantage of Desjardins travel insurance, chances are that your credit card offers too limited protection.
Even with a travel-focused credit card, you might need additional coverage. If so, ask about popular riders like pre-existing medical condition coverage, extreme sports coverage, or prescription drug coverage.